Your Guide to Glowing Skin This Thanksgiving
Certainly! Looking good and dressing up is a perk of Thanksgiving, besides reconnecting with friends and family. In the spirit of being grateful and reflecting on the past months, it is not far-fetched to be grateful for glowing and clear skin. However, this does not happen by magic. There are certain steps you need to take before you can proudly wear glowing skin this Thanksgiving.
Below is a detailed guide on how to achieve this, with all preparation starting from as far as before the celebration itself. Lots of skincare tips await you herein.
Pre-Thanksgiving Skincare Rituals
In preparation for the big day, there are certain rituals skincare-wise you need to take. This way, you can rock glowing skin that others will continuously complement in family and friends gatherings. They are as follows.
Deep Cleansing Routine
A deep cleansing routine is necessary to remove excess oil, dead skin cells, and impurities. After this procedure, you are left with glowing, smooth, and fresh skin. Below is a step-by-step guide to help perform pre Thanksgiving skincare routine.
Cleansing: Find and use a gentle sulfate-free cleanser that is appropriate for your skin type. Gently massage the cleanser onto your skin in circular motions, especially on areas susceptible to breakouts and oiliness. This should be the first step because it helps remove dirt, oil, and other pollutants from your skin.
- Exfoliation: Do this two to three times every week to unclog pores and get rid of dead skin cells. Select a mild exfoliator with small and round particles to avoid skin irritation and improve your skin texture for a healthy glow.
- Mask: Use detoxifying or purifying masks that match your skin type. For deep cleansing, clay or charcoal masks are perfect because they help absorb excess oil and pollution. Leave the mask on as recommended on the product and rinse off with lukewarm water.
- Toning: Toners are perfect for preparing the skin for moisturization and tightening pores. So, find an alcohol-free type to balance your skin’s pH levels.
- Moisturization: Moisturizing the skin is essential whether yours is oily or not. This is because it helps to keep the skin hydrated and stops it from producing surplus oil to balance dryness. A non-comedogenic, lightweight, and oil-free moisturizer will do the trick.
Serums: They contain effective ingredients that target particular skin issues. So, if you have any concerns like fine lines, acne, or dark spots, use a serum after toning.
Sunscreen: Your routine is not complete without sunscreen. So, ensure that you always end this deep cleansing routine with a broad-spectrum sunscreen that is SPF 30 or higher. This is because it helps to protect your skin from ultraviolet rays that can cause premature aging and other skin issues.
Consistently follow this routine, and you’ll glow like never before come Thanksgiving.
Use a Gentle Exfoliating Scrub
Finding a gentle exfoliating scrub is the best way to achieve radiant and smooth skin. When incorporating this into your skincare routine, always begin by wetting with lukewarm water as it helps to soften the skin and prepare it for the process. Next, take a small amount of the scrub onto your fingertips and gently apply it to your damp face. Ensure that you avoid the eye area because the skin around there is sensitive and delicate.
Afterward, use your fingertips to gently massage the scrub on your face in circular motions. Ensure that you are very gentle and don’t apply too much pressure. Also, focus on the areas that are usually dry and rough, and be careful not to over-exfoliate because it can irritate the skin. Hence, do this for 1 to 2 minutes.
Proceed to rinse thoroughly with lukewarm water and ensure that all the scrub particles are off the skin. Then, pat dry with a clean and soft towel and avoid rubbing the skin to avoid irritation. Immediately follow up with a toner to balance your skin’s pH levels and a moisturizer to keep the skin hydrated.
Exfoliating scrub is not something you use every day, no matter how mild it is. Just do this 2 to 3 times a week. Being excessive can lead to stripping the skin of its natural oil and irritation. So, find a balance after observing your skin type to get a glow that is second to none.
Skin hydration is of the essence, and you can try the following tips to achieve this.
- Drink Water: Staying well-hydrated from the inside out is the basic way to hydrate the skin. So, ensure that you drink enough water daily.
- Hydrating Moisturizer: Find a moisturizer specially designed for hydration with ingredients like hyaluronic acid, glycerin, and ceramides.
- Hydrating Masks: Face masks with ingredients like aloe vera, honey, or cucumber hydrate the skin and leave it refreshed.
- Mists: Spritz your skin with a hydrating mist to instantly replenish moisture and give your skin a dewy glow.
- Humidifier: If you live in a dry climate or the weather is hot, spend a lot of time in air-conditioned environments as they add moisture to the air that prevents your skin from drying out.
- Hyaluronic Acid Serums: Hyaluronic acid is a potent ingredient that holds up to 1000 times its weight in water. So, using one of these helps to deeply hydrate the skin and make it look youthful and healthy.
- When deep cleansing, avoid hot and use lukewarm water instead. Also, reduce your caffeine and alcohol intake as they dehydrate the body.
Thanksgiving Foods That Are Great for the Skin
Several Thanksgiving delicacies are a delight to the taste buds and also great for your skin. Here are some of them.
- Turkey: It is a good source of zinc and protein that helps with skin repair and regeneration.
- Sweet Potatoes: These are rich in beta-carotene, a precursor of vitamin A, and help to enhance cell turnover and keep the skin supple and soft.
- Pumpkin: It is rich in vitamins A and C and antioxidants. They all help to protect the skin from free radical damage and provide a healthy complexion.
- Cranberries: They are packed with vitamin C, which boosts collagen production. Collagen is vital for skin elasticity and helps to lessen the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.
- Salmon: This fish is rich in omega-3 fatty acids. It helps to maintain skin hydration and a healthy complexion and lessens inflammation.
- Nuts: Nuts like walnuts and almonds are rich in vitamin E, healthy fats, and antioxidants. They protect the skin from oxidative stress and keep it glowing.
- Spinach: This leafy green vegetable is rich in Vitamins K and A. While Vitamin K lessens inflammation and puffiness around the eyes, Vitamin A enhances skin health.
- While eating these skin-friendly dishes with complimentary wines, beer, or champagnes, ensure that you drink an adequate amount of water to keep you hydrated.
Post-Thanksgiving Skincare: Detoxifying and Rejuvenating
The skincare routine journey does not end after Thanksgiving. You’ve got to keep going so that you can enjoy smooth and radiant skin all year long till the next celebration. In this light, here’s a post-Thanksgiving facial and skincare routine to help your skin recover from the whole hustle and bustle of the day.
Clean your face with a mild cleanser to remove excess oil, makeup, and dirt gathered during the day.
- With your gentle exfoliating scrub, slough off dead skin to help your skin absorb the other products.
- Use a detoxifying face mask with ingredients like clay or charcoal to deeply cleanse your pores. Follow the instructions and rinse off with lukewarm water.
Use your toner and hydrating serum to soothe, plum, balance, and refresh your skin.
Get an eye cream with ingredients like cucumber extract or vitamin K to treat dark circles and puffiness around the eyes.
Moisturize your skin and apply a nourishing facial oil that is rich in antioxidants if your skin feels particularly dry.
Now that the event is overtake time to relax and unwind by trying meditation, yoga, or any technique that works for you.
Eat a balanced diet with plenty of vegetables, whole grains, and fruits, and drink lots of water. Also, avoid processed foods and excessive sugar intake as they can cause skin issues.
As you can see, these tips contain both detoxifying skincare products and food that can help rejuvenate and replenish the nutrients lost. Also, they help to detoxify skin surface to give a refreshed appearance.