Top Turmeric Face Masks You Should Absolutely TrySep 20, 2019
You may not be familiar with the word "turmeric" but if you've ever eaten curry, you've eaten turmeric. It's the ingredient that makes curry appear yellow. Turmeric has lots of uses outside the kitchen, however.
For instance, it's been used as an important component of South Asian traditional medicine for centuries. And it's believed by millions to have the ability to effectively treat a wide range of health conditions.
Turmeric is also used to make facial masks that help rejuvenate the skin, prevent pimples and acne, and heal acne scars. Below we’ll look at the top turmeric face masks you should try, particularly if you suffer from acne.
Benefits of Turmeric Face Masks
Before we look at specific products, let's take a moment to explore the benefits of using a turmeric face mask. Those benefits include:
- Anti-acne properties - Turmeric is known for reducing inflammation and soothing irritated skin. Both of these conditions can contribute to outbreaks of acne.
- Antioxidant properties - Turmeric is rich in antioxidants which, if you didn’t know, are the one and only defense our bodies have against the scourge of cell-killing free radicals.
- Fights hyperpigmentation - Hyperpigmentation is essentially dark patches of skin. Some studies suggest the turmeric can reduce hyperpigmentation.
- Anti-wrinkle capabilities - A turmeric face mask can alleviate fine lines and wrinkles. It improves the overall appearance of the skin, making it more radiant and youthful-looking.
- Antibacterial properties - Studies also suggest Turmeric possesses strong antibacterial properties. This also helps to explain why it would be effective in fighting acne.
“The face you have at 50 is up to you.” - Coco Chanel
How to Use Turmeric Face Masks?
After applying a turmeric mask, leave it in place for 10 to 15 minutes, rinse it off using warm water. It’s recommended that you don’t leave a turmeric face mask on overnight unless the product directions explicitly state that it is okay to do so.
This is for a very good reason. If you have light skin and the mask contains a large amount of turmeric leaving it on overnight could wind up staining your skin yellow. The yellow hue will eventually wear off but will be unsightly for some time.
Are Turmeric Face Masks Effective?
Yes, turmeric face masks can be very effective at treating a wide range of skin issues.
Do Turmeric Face Masks Work on Acne Scars?
Yes, turmeric face masks will work on acne scars. Although there are other readily available products such as clarafuse by Dermaclara Beauty that are known to work even better.
Top 10 Turmeric Face Masks to Try
There are dozens of different turmeric face mask products on the market today. We’ve brought together what we feel are the 10 best.
1. iHeart Nature Vedic Bloom Face Mask $15
The iHeart Nature Vedic Bloom Face Mask leverages the cleansing power of organic Turmeric alongside Ayurvedic botanicals to restore the natural balance of your skin and ward off acne.
It's a high-quality exfoliant, is packed with antioxidants and exhibits robust antiseptic properties as well. Your skin is going to look and feel better because it will be better. The Vedic Bloom Face Mask also does a good job smoothing out fine lines and restoring a smooth, supple surface.
- Packed with anti-inflammatories and antioxidants
- Clears out blackheads, removes excess oils
- Leaves skin feeling clean and refreshed.
- Not ideal for sensitive skin
2. Kiehl's Turmeric & Cranberry Radiance Masque $39
Whether you have oily, dry or combination skin, Kiehl's Turmeric & Cranberry mask will restore its luster and texture.
Turmeric is known for its ability to fight redness and for its extraordinary antioxidant load. With Kiehl's Turmeric mask, you get the best of both working overtime to repair and restore your skin and make it less hospitable to acne and other problems. You’ll see visibly brighter skin after just a few uses.
- Cranberry seeds act as an exfoliant
- Leaves skin feeling rejuvenated
- Can leave skin feeling a bit dry
3. Cocovit Turmeric Face Mask $44
Cocovit Turmeric Face Mask costs more than most other OTC masks, but there are plenty of people who feel it's worth the stretch. It exfoliates the skin, removing dead and dying cells to allow the healthy, smoother underlayers to shine through.
Once they do, it nourishes them and infuses them with antioxidants that protect the new skin cells from our common enemy, free radicals. Cocovit is also 100% organic, paraben-free, sulfate-free, and are never tested on animals.
- Does a good job exfoliating the skin
- Among the most effective at fighting acne
- No parabens or sulfates, certified organic
- One of the more expensive turmeric masks.
4. Apto Skincare Healing Turmeric Mask $16
Apto Skincare Healing Turmeric Mask is formulated to treat rosacea, alleviate inflammation, and fend off breakouts. At the same time, it nurtures healthy skin development, exfoliates, and doesn’t punish those with sensitive skin. It’s loaded with antioxidants that are absorbed into your skin and go to work neutralizing free radicals. Its disinfectant and antibacterial properties also ensure clean, clear skin that’s inhospitable to acne.
- Good for oily skin or dry skin
- Goes on easy, feels light
- Natural disinfectant for fighting acne.
- Smell isn’t great.
5. Minimo Turmeric Skin Brightening Facial Scrub. $12.99
Organic hemp seed oil is combined with turmeric powder and raw manuka honey to produce the Minimo Turmeric Skin Brightening Facial Scrub. Not a mask per se but a fairly good equivalent for those with limited time. This facial scrub digs deep into the pores to remove oil, bacteria, and environmental pollutants that can cause clogs and breakouts. It then washes the skin in moisture-retaining chamomile and manuka honey.
- The chamomile does a good job of promoting a healthy glow
- Cold-pressed hemp seed oil for fighting acne
- Not such a great job exfoliating
6. Pearlessence Clay Face Mask (Turmeric and Honey), $12
This is another turmeric and honey face mask that’s antioxidant-rich and does a good job clearing your skin of unwanted oil and dirt while restoring proper moisture content. It’s a clay mask that’s meant to sit in place for 10 - 15 minutes before being washed off.
Within that time, it pulls blackheads from their hiding place, exfoliates dead skin cells, and removes excess amounts of oil. When you wash it off, your skin looks as good as it feels.
- Reduces inflammation and clears pores
- Cedrus clay is a natural exfoliant
- Also reduces fine lines and wrinkles
- Not the best for dry skin
7. Pride Of India Face Mask w/ Turmeric, $12.99
Pride of India Face Mask uses a base of calcium bentonite clay powder mixed with turmeric. It smooths over acne scars, removes blemishes, mitigates the appearance of hyperpigmentation, and removes dead skin so new, healthy skin can take its place.
This is a very simple formula intended to reformat your skin and restore proper moisture levels.
- The bentonite clay feels great
- It pulls those blackheads right out
- Does a good job of preventing acne outbreaks
- Assumes you want or need whiter skin
8. Himalaya Neem & Turmeric Natural Face Wash, $15.99
We love the way this mask feels when it’s in place. You can also sense it reaching into your pores, cleaning them out, and opening them up to breathe. There’s a rich complement of botanicals at work here that not only clean the skin but help to restore a proper pH balance while removing excessive amounts of oil.
- Leaves skin feeling moist and supple
- Exfoliates and cleanses to lessen the chance of acne
- Not organic if that matters to you
9. Organic Fields of Heather Turmeric Clay Facial Mask $7.99
While the company name here may verge on the pretentious, there's nothing pretentious about this turmeric face mask. It's made from 100% organic ingredients that clear the surface of your face of pollutants, oil, and bacteria. It then infuses the newly clean and receptive skin with soothing aloe vera and coconut oil.
- Produces smooth, radiant skin
- Does a great job of moisturizing and cleansing your skin
- 100% organic
- Has a scent not everyone will like
10. Noix de Coco Organic Superfood Face Mask, $27
The last item on our list is this tightening and rejuvenating mask from Noix de Coco Organic. There’s a base of gentle kaolin clay which takes hold of your skin and pulls out excess oils and bacteria. It leaves your skin bright and smooth while fending off acne outbreaks.
It’s gentle, reasonably effective and made without gluten, parabens, GMOs or artificial ingredients.
- Reduces fine lines and wrinkles
- Tightens and lifts the skin
- Does a decent job of fending off acne
- Not the greatest moisturizer
"a mask delivers 'actives' to the skin to improve the appearance or quality of the skin," - Neal Schultz, Dermatologist
Best Alternatives to Turmeric Face Masks
Clarafuse Complete Face System, $69
Clarafuse by Dermaclara Beauty opens the pores and draws out impurities while restoring proper pH levels and drastically reducing the appearance of acne scars. Clarafuse underwent rigorous testing by industry giant BioScreen who concluded that it produces noticeably clearer skin. Our top choice for fighting acne and reducing acne scars.
- Medical grade hygienic reusable silicone patches
- Thoroughly cleanses the skin of impurities
- Dramatically reduces acne scars
- None to speak of
pureSOL Konjac Turmeric Facial Sponge $9
If you're not into face masks, try pureSOL Konjac Turmeric Facial Sponge. The sponge acts as an exfoliating agent that removes dead skin cells. But it also stimulates blood flow, which helps reduce the visible effects of scarring and prepares the way for new, smoother skin.
- Easy to use, reasonably effective
- Rebalances skin pH levels
- Totally biodegradable
- Can sometimes irritate the skin a bit
Murad Clarifying Mask
Murad Clarifying Mask is a standard face mask that utilizes salicylic acid and sulfur to clear your skin of dead and dying cells. It also provides glycerin and allantoin that moisturize the new layers of skin and prevent them from falling victim to environmental pollutants, dirt, and weather.
- Clears out pores effectively
- Reduces the amount of surface oil
- Does a good job of preventing acne outbreaks
- Leaves something of a lingering smell
Where Can I Buy Turmeric Face Masks?
You can purchase any of the OTC turmeric face masks listed above, as well as the alternatives we just profiled, at the manufacturer websites as well as at major beauty retailers like Sephora. Most are also available at Amazon. Though we would urge caution when purchasing beauty products through there unless you purchase directly from the manufacturer.
Our top choice, clarafuse by Dermaclara Beauty, is available through the official Dermaclara website.
Bottom Line: Why You Should Add Turmeric Face Masks to Your Current Skincare Routine
You should add a turmeric face mask to your skincare routine in order to help keep your face clear of acne, acne scars, excessive oil, and bacteria that can cause pimples. Most turmeric masks also do a good job exfoliating the skin. For optimal anti-acne benefits, however, we recommend you try clarafuse by Dermaclara.