Say Goodbye to Crepey Skin with These Tips
Crepey skin is something most everyone is familiar with. That's because if they don't have it (yet), they have a friend, relative, neighbor or acquaintance that does.
It's sometimes just called "crinkled skin” or even “elephant skin." But no matter what you call it, it's not something anyone looks forward to developing but we all will in time. Some of us just sooner than others.
Crepey skin might seem more like “creepy skin” to some. But while the bad news is that we’ll all develop some crepey skin if we live long enough, the good news is that when it strikes , the degree to which it affects us are things that are very much within our control.
What Causes Crepey Skin?
The causes of crepey skin are simple and obvious.
- Sun damage - While the sun is the giver of life, it is also the enemy of our skin. Ultraviolet light from the sun penetrates the outer layers of skin and breaks down collagen, stunts the production of elastin, and generally wreaks havoc.
When combined with the enervating effects of free radicals, this one-two punch undermines the integrity of your skin on a fundamental level. The result? Crepey skin.
- Age - As we age, our skin doesn’t suddenly stop needing collagen and elastin. But for some reason, that’s not clearly understood by the body and it slowly reduces the amount of the necessary compounds it produces as we enter middle age.
By the time a person is 60 or 70, collagen and elastin production is just a fraction of what it was when we were 20. Fair? Not even a little. But that’s nature for you.
- Other factors - Air pollution, sudden weight loss, stress, smoking, and dehydration also contribute to the development of crepey skin. Each of them undermines your skin's integrity in its own way. And when there are multiple factors in play, your skin doesn’t stand much of a chance.
How to Restore Crepey Skin?
To restore crepey skin, use any of the exercises, clinical treatments or creams we’re about to cover.
5 Best Exercises to Get Rid of Crepey Skin
As is the case with a lot of things related to crepey skin, the best exercises you can do to fend it off are simple and easy to do. Here are some examples:
- Fitness Dancing - If this is a potential crepey skin treatment that interests you, you shouldn’t have any trouble finding a class. The goal with any type of exercise to treat or prevent crepey skin is to get oxygen-rich blood flowing into those long-neglected areas of your body such as your skin. Fitness dancing is also a great way to reduce stress (another cause of crepey skin) and enhance your mood.
- Walking - Walking is a great way to get the heart going and the blood pumping. More people than ever live sedentary lifestyles today. And this is a major contributing factor both to the obesity crisis and the ever-expanding number of young people developing crepey skin. When you sit in one place all day, blood circulation suffers, and so does your skin so make sure to go for a walk as much as possible.
- Jogging - If you have a bit more energy or you've been walking for some time, maybe it's time to start jogging. Jogging helps keep the weight down and also gets the blood pumping although it won't tighten your skin all by itself. What it can do is help prevent crepey skin for developing in the first place. Jogging is a classic case of "an ounce of prevention" is still better than the cure.
- Weight Training - If you’re thin and physically weak, your skin will have a tendency to hang off your body. This is especially true if you became thin by losing a lot of weight. Rather than just getting skinny, a better course of action is to lose weight and build musculature to fill out your shell. You don't have to be a bodybuilder but a strong, toned physique will prevent your skin from sagging as you age or lose weight.
- The Elliptical Machine - The Elliptical is a machine that gives you an excellent all-around workout. It combines elements of running, walking, and stair climbing and is a great way to build endurance as well as enhance muscle tone. Another positive thing about the Elliptical Machine is that it’s low impact. Whereas jogging is tough on the joints, the Elliptical treats them with kid gloves.
“Sometimes you must shed your skin to save it.” - Emma Donoghue, best-selling writer
Best Clinical Treatments for Crepey Skin
Some simply don’t have the energy, time or temperament to engage in regular exercise. Yet they still need to deal with the crepey skin they have. For them, clinical treatments may be the wisest course of action. These include:
- Fractional Lasers - This type of treatment uses a mild laser to heat up the crepey area and encourage collagen production. Collagen, of course, pushes out from the inside and smooths skin in a natural way.
- Fillers - While fillers can be useful in smoothing out small hollows in the skin, they shouldn't be looked at as a large scale solution to the problem. They're more of a targeted solution.
- Ultrasound - The idea behind ultrasound treatments for crepey skin is similar to that of laser treatments. Essentially the under layers of skin are stimulated to promote collagen growth.
- Surgery - In some cases, especially when a person has lost a large amount of body weight, surgical removal of the resulting excess skin may be called for. Simply because there is only so much fillers, exercise, and creams can do.
5 Best Skin Tightening Home Remedies
The following home remedies can be used in concert with exercise to really produce some significant results.
1) Aloe Vera Gel - Aloe Vera is easy to find, easy to use, and does a great job nourishing and reinvigorating the skin. If that's not enough, it also helps protect your skin from UV damage, and it has astringent properties that restore tautness which tone the upper layers of your skin. To use aloe vera at home simply...
- Cut an aloe leaf in half
- Extract the gel within
- Apply it to the affected area
- Leave on for 20 minutes
- Rinse off with cold water
2) The Yogurt Mask - Yogurt is not only tasty and healthy—it's also a great way to deal with crepey skin. It contains lactic acid that’s great for exfoliation and also leaves behind a clean, natural glow. In the process, it smooths out crinkly areas. The yogurt mask process is simple and goes like this:
- Take 2 tablespoons of yogurt
- Mix them in a bowl with 2-3 drops of lime juice
- Take the resulting paste and apply it to the affected area
- Make sure to massage thoroughly while applying
- Once applied allow it to stand for 5 minutes
- Wash off with lukewarm water
This mask can be applied 3 or 4 times a week and is best when used to augment an exercise regimen or the use of facial creams.
3) Tomato Juice - Tomato juice may be one of the more unexpected items on this list but it’s here for a good reason. Tomato juice has tons of beneficial antioxidants. Antioxidants are those busy little chemical beavers that protect your cells against the scourge of free radicals.
Tomatoes and tomato juice have the added benefit of being affordable and available just about everywhere. To use tomato juice to fight crepey skin simply...
- Extract the juice of one large tomato
- Dip a cotton ball or the corner of a clean washcloth in it
- Rub the juice into the affected area
- Leave in place for 10 minutes
- Wash off with lukewarm water
You can do the tomato juice treatment twice a day if you have the time and an abundance of tomatoes to do so.
4) Homemade Clay Mask - The clay mask has been around since the time of the ancient Egyptians. Today it's used for a number of purposes. But in this case, we're primarily concerned with its ability to clear the skin of impurities and leave it smoother and more toned.
Making a clay mask at home is not as difficult as it may seem. Here’s how you do it:
- Mix 2 tablespoons of clay with 1 of powdered milk
- Add water and mix until you have a paste
- Apply the paste to the affected areas
- Leave on for about 20 minutes or until it dries
- Wash off with water and pat dry
5) Coffee Grounds - An offbeat solution but one which can be effective.
- Mix 3 tablespoons of coffee grounds with 1 of coconut oil
- Add a tablespoon of brown sugar and mix
- Apply to the affected area with a circular motion
- Rinse off with warm water
Best Products to Help With Crepey Skin
Clarasome is the result of years of research and has been clinically proven through rigorous third-party testing to visibly reduce the appearance of lines, wrinkles and crepey skin.
It's a wide-ranging solution to the issue since it approaches both from within—through its rich complement of nutrients and with hyaluronic acid that removes dead or damaged skin which then paves the way for tighter healthier skin to emerge. It’s our top choice as far as a crepey skin cream is concerned!
- Exfoliates and leaves behind smoother, lustrous skin
- Promotes the production of collagen and elastin
- Protects the emerging new skin from damage
- Replenishes the skin’s natural moisture barrier
- Only available via the Dermaclara Beauty website
Adamia Therapeutic Repair Lotion $39
Some think this to be among the best OTC lotions for the treatment of crepey skin and we’re inclined to agree. It has powerful antioxidant properties that protect the skin from free radicals while at the same time replenishing and rejuvenating lifeless areas of crepey skin. It’s specially formulated for those with sensitive skin.
- Dermatologist tested
- It’s rich in antioxidants and omega-3 fatty acids
- Ideal for those with sensitive skin
- It’s going to take some time to see actual results
Crepe Erase – Intensive Body Repair Treatment $75
Crepe Erase is not the most effective crepey treatment we tested, but it's pretty close. It's fully organic, gentle, and effective—and you won't have to wait a month for results.
- Works fast
- Smooths and tones damaged, crepey skin
Where Can I Buy Products to Get Rid of Crepey Skin?
The above products, with one exception, can be purchased via Amazon or through their manufacturer's website. We urge caution when purchasing beauty products through Amazon, however. Make sure you always purchase them from the manufacturer's official Amazon shop or from an authorized reseller.
Otherwise, you can't be sure exactly what you're getting, and any complaints may fall on deaf ears.
Our favorite, Clarasome by Dermaclara Beauty is available on the official Dermaclara Beauty website where you're assured to get both quality control and the best possible price.
“Sometimes I want to peel away my skin and find a different me underneath.” - Francesca Lia Block, author
Top Expert Tips on How to Smooth Your Skin
We reached out to skin care experts to get their answers to the following questions. The following are short summaries of their responses.
What’s the Best Way to Tighten Your Face Skin?
The best way to tighten your face skin is with a combination of exercise and clarasome from Dermaclara Beauty. The combination of the two will help you both deal with existing crepey skin and stave off the development or more in the future.
What’s the Best Way to Tighten Neck Skin?
The best way to tighten neck skin is with a natural astringent like tomato juice or aloe vera and regular use of clarasome or one of the other creams in our list.