You have no items in your bag
Rock Solid Methods for Dealing with Loose Saggy Skin
Everyone starts with taut, toned, supple skin. And in time, everyone’s skin sags. That’s just the way of the world. Unfortunately for some that sagging starts early. While with others, the sagging is much more severe than what is considered "normal." But whether or not your skin started sagging early, is sagging a lot or is simply displaying a normal amount of sag you still want to know how to deal with it. The good news is there are a number of things you can do to fend off sagging skin or to treat it, regardless of how far it has progressed. We're going to look at the most effective ways of dealing with sagging skin starting now.
5 Best Exercises to Get Rid of Saggy Skin
If the saggy skin has not progressed too far, it may be possible to halt the progression and perhaps even reverse it by doing some of the following exercises.
1) Tricep kickbacks - One of the first places sagging skin appears on many people is the underside of the bicep, around the tricep muscle. This exercise helps you strengthen that area and tighten the skin in the process. Here’s how it’s done:
- Stand and hold a dumbbell in each hand. It should be a moderate amount of weight.
- Now bend your knees slightly and lean forward, keeping your back straight and your arms hanging straight down at your sides.
- Lift one arm using a slow, steady motion. Lift until the dumbbell touches your midsection, hold it there for 2 seconds, then lower slowly and repeat with the other arm.
2) The Windmill - With this exercise, we're targeting loose skin on the neck and shoulders. It should also have a knock-on benefit for the biceps and triceps. Here's how it's done.
- Stand up with your back straight.
- Starting with both hands at your sides, raise one arm straight out in front of you, then straight up and back as far as you can go before returning to the start position.
- Then do the same with the other arm.
- Do this 20 times for each arm, mixing forward and backward motion if you wish.
3) Look Up and Sing - No one wants jowls. Fortunately, there are ways you can minimize them or at least delay their arrival. This exercise is one of them.
- Stand straight with your hands relaxed at your side.
- Tilt your head backward until you are looking at the top of the wall.
- Now either sing your favorite song or go up and down through the scale (do, re, mi, fa etc).
- 5 minutes once or twice per day.
4) Smiling Chin Out Exercise - Here’s another exercise designed to help you tighten up the skin on your neck and help minimize the appearance of jowls.
- Stand straight with your hands relaxed by your sides.
- Tilt your head back until you are staring at the top of the wall.
- Now smile the widest smile you can and push your lower jaw outward.
- Pull your jaw back and then push it out again.
- Repeat 10 times. Rest 1 minute. Repeat 10 more times.
5) Misc exercises to target the legs - Loose skin can also accumulate on the lower body. In order to tighten up that skin, it's best to engage in vigorous exercise that strengthens the legs and buttocks. Cycling, using a Stairmaster, climbing real stairs instead of taking the elevator, hiking and jogging will all do the trick.
How to Tighten Neck Skin?
Tighten neck skin by having a dermatologist perform a neck lift. That's the only surefire way to achieve significant and lasting results. Other methods can be effective. But typically not as effective or as long-lasting.
What Causes Saggy Skin?
Here are the most common causes for saggy skin:
- Aging - As we said in the opening, at some point everyone's taut, toned skin begins to sag. That's because as it ages, the body gradually reduces the amount of collagen and elastin it produces.
- The sun - The sun is many things, including the enemy of your skin. UV rays from the sun penetrate the outer layers and degrade collagen in the lower layers. This causes the skin to sag.
- Extreme weight loss - Even weight loss has a downside. When we're carrying too much weight, it stretches the skin. When that weight is lost, the skin doesn’t just snap back. It sags.
- Smoking - Smoking will be the death of you. But before that, it will be the death of your skin. Smoking robs the skin of oxygen.
- Dehydration - Your body is 70% water. Your skin is the largest organ on your body. If you don't drink enough water, it will show in your skin.
How to Tighten Your Face Skin?
The best way to tighten your face skin is by way of a clinical treatment such as a face lift. Let’s look at 5 of the best clinical treatments now.
“Alternate a body lotion with a topical exfoliating lotion for problem areas,” - Dr. Joely Kaufman.
Best Clinical Treatments for Saggy Skin
- Chemical peels - The chemical peel is mostly used to remove dead, tired skin on the face and replace it with vibrant, smoother skin from below. Chemical peels have a reputation for being a harsh type of treatment. And they can be. So if you have sensitive skin, you'll probably want to pass on the peel.
- Various lift procedures - Face lifts, eyelid lifts, neck lifts, even ear lifts are all surgical procedures that entail pulling back the loose skin, removing it and stitching the two remaining pieces of skin together. This is the only surefire way to get rid of loose skin.
- Ultrasound tightening - Sound waves are focused on a certain point in the tissue beneath the skin. This causes the area to warm and sparks collagen production. Since most sagging is the result of a loss of collagen, producing more collagen will help.
- RF treatments - Radiofrequency (RF) treatments work in a similar way to ultrasound tightening. The radio waves are focused on a certain area under the surface, and this prompts collagen production. Both treatments take several weeks to see noticeable results.
5 Best Skin Tightening Home Remedies
1) The aloe vera skin salve - Aloe vera has been used to tighten and beautify skin since the days of Cleopatra. It’s still a common home remedy to tighten sagging skin, sunburn and other skin-related maladies because it works.
- Cut an aloe vera leaf open and extract the gel.
- Smear it on your face and neck anywhere the skin is sagging.
- Leave it on for 10 to 20 minutes depending on severity of the sagging.
- Rinse off with lukewarm water.
- Do this several times per week.
2) Lemon - The humble lemon is rich in vitamin C and helps promote collagen production. More collagen equals smoother, more supple skin. Lemon is also an astringent which of course means it will tighten up your skin and reduce fine lines and wrinkles. Using lemon to help with saggy skin isn’t complicated.
- Extract the juice of 1 fresh lemon.
- Rub the juice gently into the saggy area.
- Leave it in place for 5 or 10 minutes.
- Rinse with water.
- Repeat every morning and evening and follow with a moisturizer.
3) Cucumber - A lot of people don't realize that cucumber has natural toning properties. That is, the juice does. So to take advantage of it, you'll need to extract the cucumber juice.
- Peel a cucumber, grind it and then put it through a strainer.
- Take the juice and rub it into the saggy areas of the face and neck.
- Rinse with cool water.
- Repeat once or twice per day.
4) The honey mask - Honey is rich in antioxidants and has natural anti-aging properties. It’s also effective at rehydrating dry skin, sunburned skin, and skin that has been exposed to cold winter weather. In this case, you're going to make a mask using honey, lemon and olive oil. Three ingredients tired aging skin loves.
- Mix 2 tbsp of honey with half a tsp of olive oil and a few drops of lemon juice.
- Make sure it is mixed thoroughly and then apply to your face and neck.
- Leave it in place for 10-15 minutes and then rinse away with warm water.
5) The strawberry mask - Strawberry juice is a good astringent. It also contains a lot of antioxidants that fight cell-killing free radicals. In this case, we're going to make a creamy face mask using strawberries and yogurt. You'll also need a bit of honey.
- Mash up 3 large strawberries and mix them with 3 tbsp of yogurt and a 1/2 tsp of honey.
- Mix it up well until you have a nice thick paste.
- Apply the past evenly to your face and neck.
- Leave it in place for 5-10 minutes.
- Rinse with lukewarm water and repeat every day.
How to Restore Saggy Skin?
To restore saggy skin, you will have to undergo a lift procedure, practice the exercises we outlined, use one or more of the home remedies we looked at or use a first-class skin care product.
Best Products to Help With Saggy Skin
Clarasome Radiance from Dermaclara Beauty has undergone rigorous 3rd party testing, which determined it produces significant improvement in the way skin looks and feels in more than 90% of test subjects. That’s an uncommon success rate for an uncommon product. Our top choice for dealing with sagging skin.
- Clinically proven to reduce sagging, fine lines and wrinkles.
- Restores proper pH and rehydrates the skin.
- Can only buy it through the Dermaclara website.
Glow Johann Frieda Neck Firming Cream $16
Glow contains hyaluronic acid, collagen and peptides. This is a potent combination that will remove dead skin cells, re-ignite plumping, and bolster the integrity of your skin at every level. The results are not long-lasting, but if you use it regularly, it will help reduce the amount of saggy skin on your face.
- With prolonged use your skin should look and feel tighter.
- It’s safe for everyone except those with sensitive skin.
- Like all such products, this is a face and neck only cream.
Dermarie Neck & Décolleté Firming Skin Cream $40
This high quality firming skin cream tightens the skin and supports the production of collagen and elastin. It reduces fine lines restores proper pH levels to your skin and makes if feel smoother, softer and more supple.
- Regular use should produce visible results.
- Feels great every time you apply it.
- It makes skin look and feel better, not always tighter.
Where Can I Buy Products to Get Rid of Saggy Skin?
All of the above products except one can be purchased either through Amazon, through one of the many upscale online beauty retailers like Sephora or at most high-end brick and mortar beauty shops. Most are also available at better department stores. Our top choice, however - clarasome by Dermaclara Beauty - is only available through the official Dermaclara website which can be found here.
“Sunscreen is a powerhouse youth-preserving skincare step, and it’s never too late to start.” - Paula Begoun, The Cosmetics Cop
Final tips: How to Smoothen Your Skin
If you want to put off developing saggy skin for as long as possible, do your best to avoid the major causes of sagging skin. That means:
- Drinking lots of water - Since dehydration is a major cause of saggy skin drinking plenty of water will help prevent dehydration-related sagging along with fine lines and wrinkles.
- Wear sunscreen - UV rays from the sun are no friend of your skin and can undermine collagen production. Always wear a robust sunscreen on all your exposed areas when going out.
- Quit smoking - There are few things more destructive to skin that smoking. It robs skin of oxygen and turns it into a saggy, shriveled mass.