Rejuvenate Your Skin With an Aloe Vera Face Mask
To the ancient Egyptians, the aloe plant held the secret to eternal youth and beauty. There is also evidence they used it to treat burns, heal scars, and even aid in the embalming process. Cleopatra was said to have used aloe vera face masks on a regular basis. While the ancient Chinese were said to also use it to achieve a smooth, pleasing complexion. So aloe vera as part of a beauty routine is nothing new, and the benefits are just as real and as easy to enjoy today as they were thousands of years ago.
What Are Aloe Vera Face Masks and Their Benefits
Aloe vera face masks are a combination of aloe vera and various other ingredients. These ingredients are mixed together and applied to the face in order to cleanse and clear the surface and to restore vitality and tone. The benefits of aloe vera face masks are numerous:
- It helps restore pH balance - Imbalances in pH levels can create numerous problems with your skin, making it more susceptible to sunburn, acne, dermatitis and more.
- It rehydrates your skin - When the foundation layers of skin become dried out, the surface begins to sag and wrinkle. Aloe penetrates the outer layer of skin and restores proper hydration.
- It’s great for treating sunburn - Aloe vera has been used to treat sunburn since the time of those ancient Egyptians we mentioned earlier.
- It’s loaded with antioxidants - Antioxidants are the only real defense we have against the scourge of free radicals. Free radicals make it their purpose to destroy healthy skin cells.
- It’s an effective acne treatment - Aloe vera has well-known antibacterial properties that make it a valuable weapon in the fight against acne.
When Should You Use Aloe Vera Face Masks and How Do They Work?
Typically women apply an aloe vera face mask in the evening after they have cleaned the collected dirt and debris of the day from their face. In rare cases, they will leave the mask on overnight. But in the vast majority of cases, the mask is left on for 20 or 30 minutes before being rinsed off, and a moisturizer applied before going to sleep.
Aloe vera is highly thought of for a number of reasons. Not the least of which is the fact that it’s great at penetrating deep into the underlying layers of skin where it restores hydration, promotes collagen production and repairs damaged tissue. Because aloe tends to work from the inside out it can take a number of applications before you begin to actually see benefits. So if you don’t see any big improvements don’t get impatient. They’re coming.
“Aloe vera effectively treats psoriasis, dermatitis, frostbite, burns and inflammation.” - Dr. Axe
What is an Aloe Vera Face Mask For?
An aloe vera face mask is for balancing pH levels, soothing sunburn, treating acne, and restoring proper hydration to your skin.
Top 7 Aloe Vera Face Masks to Try
Like all the best face masks aloe vera face masks are incredibly simple to make and use. Below, we’ll go over our 7 favorite DIY aloe vera masks.
1) The aloe vera and lemon mask - This one is great for reducing blemishes, minimizing acne scars and evening out the sometimes blotchy appearance of tanned skin. All you need to make it is some aloe vera gel and lemon juice.
- Combine 2 tbsp of aloe vera gel and the juice of half a lemon in a bowl.
- Mix it thoroughly until the lemon juice is completely blended into the gel.
- Apply it to your face evenly and leave it on for 10 minutes.
- Rinse off with lukewarm water and pat dry.
2) The aloe vera and cucumber mask - This mask is especially good for treating pigmentation marks, blemishes left by pimples as well as scratches. All you’ll need to make it is some aloe vera gel, some cucumber slices and a few drops or rose water (optional).
- Mash several slices of cucumber (sans skin).
- Combine in a bowl with 2 tbsp of aloe vera gel and the rose water.
- Mix thoroughly until you have as smooth a paste as possible.
- Apply to your face and leave on for 30 minutes.
- Rinse off with lukewarm water and pat dry.
3) The honey and aloe face mask - This aloe face mask is great for treating oily and acne-prone skin. It restores a natural luster and doesn’t leave a greasy feeling in its wake. All you’ll need is an aloe leaf and some honey.
- Boil the aloe leaf in water and then mash it into a paste.
- Add a tbsp of honey and mix thoroughly.
- Apply to your face when cool and leave for 20 minutes.
- Rinse thoroughly with cold water.
4) The aloe vera, mango and lime mask - The citric acid in the lime juice will help detoxify the skin and make it a more receptive canvas for the aloe. All you’ll need is some aloe vera gel, lime juice and 1 mango.
- Put the mango in a blender and puree.
- Mix the mango with 2 tbsp of aloe vera gel and a tbsp of lime juice.
- Once you have a smooth paste, apply it to your face, and leave for 20 minutes.
- Rinse off using cold water.
5) The aloe vera and oatmeal mask - This mask is great for soaking up excess oils and restoring balance to your skin. All you’ll need to make it is some aloe vera gel, some plain oatmeal and a cucumber.
- Skin the cucumber and then mash several slices as fine as possible.
- Mix the mashed cucumber with 2 tbsp of aloe gel until you have a paste.
- Add 2 tbsp of oatmeal and blend in as well as possible.
- Apply and leave on your face for 10 minutes.
- Rinse off using lukewarm water and pat dry.
6) The aloe vera and almond face mask - This type of aloe face mask is best for dry, aging skin. All you need to make it is some aloe vera gel and a few almonds.
- Crush the almonds as fine as possible.
- Mix the crushed almonds with 2 tbsp of aloe vera gel.
- Blend until smooth then apply and leave on for 15 minutes.
- Wash off with lukewarm water and pat dry.
7) The aloe vera and shea butter mask - Our final DIY aloe vera mask is ideal for dry or combination skin. To make it you’ll need some aloe vera gel, shea butter and a bit of olive oil. Here’s how it’s done:
- Put 2 tbsp of gel, 1 tbsp shea butter and 1 of olive oil in a bowl.
- Mix thoroughly until you have a smooth, thick paste.
- Apply to your face and leave for 15 minutes.
- Wash off with lukewarm water and pat dry.
How Often Can You do an Aloe Vera Face Mask?
You can do an aloe vera face mask every day if you wish.
"Aloe vera is rich in vitamin C, E and beta carotene, which gives it its nourishing and anti-aging qualities." - Dr. Deepali Bhardwaj, Dermatologist
Best 5 Alternative Products to Aloe Vera Face Masks
Of all the OTC skincare treatments out there none come as close to replicating the restorative qualities of aloe vera as the Silicone Fusion™ system by Dermaclara Beauty. These medical grade silicone patches adhere gently to the face and restore hydration while reducing the appearance of acne scars and other blemishes. Extensive 3rd party testing by BioScreen has shown that more than 90 percent of people who use the silicone fusion™ system report significant improvement in the appearance of acne scars as well as the feel and tone of their skin in general.
Bliss Triple Oxygen Self-Activating Facial Mask
This high-quality oxygen bubble mask uses aloe vera along with vitamins C and E, green tea, rice bran, and more to brighten skin and restore a smooth, supple surface. Skin feels revitalized, hydration levels are bolstered, and on top of all that the bubbling formula is just great fun. Although the mask itself utilizes highly pure ingredients, some of them, as well as the bubbling action, may wind up being a bit much for those with sensitive skin.
Peter Thomas Roth Cucumber Gel Mask
Cucumber is one of those ingredients that seems like a perfect complement for aloe vera. And it is. Its anti-inflammatory properties work in concert with the hydrating and soothing properties of aloe to calm the skin and restore a youthful glow. The formula here is very smooth, with a light, silky texture that feels great the minute you apply it and leaves your skin feeling even better after you remove it. It can also be used to alleviate puffiness under the eyes.
Hebepe Green Tea Matcha Mud Mask
One reason aloe is prized by those prone to acne outbreaks is that it reaches right down into the skin to restore hydration without leaving the surface feeling greasy. When you pair up the many benefits of aloe with the mud mask, you've really got something going on for those with oily skin. Hebepe Green Tea Matcha Mud mask exfoliates, revitalizes and cleanses. After just a few applications you should notice your skin looking plumper and smoother.
Joanna Vargas Euphoria Face Mask
These sheets employ hyaluronic acid to clear away dead skin cells and prompt their replacement by new, fresh layers of skin. They're not quite as effective as the Dermaclara Silicone Fusion™ patches we looked at earlier, but they do a decent job producing smoother, more toned skin nonetheless. Allantoin (glyoxylic acid) is also used to bolster exfoliation and surface restoration.
Where Can You Buy Aloe Vera Face Masks?
Any of the above products can be purchased either through online or brick and mortar shops specializing in high-end beauty products such as Sephora. Most fine department stores also carry some or all of them. Amazon is another popular place to pick up beauty products such as these. But we would caution that you only buy them direct from the manufacturer's official Amazon shop. Our top choice, Dermaclara's Silicone Fusion™ Patches for Face can be purchased through the official Dermaclara Beauty website which you'll find here.
Final Tips: Why You Should add Face Masks to Your Current Skincare Routine
You can (and should) wash your face at the end of every day to clear away sweat and dirt and atmospheric pollutants. But that’s only half of the skin care story. If you want your skin to retain any of its youthful tone and vibrance, you need to apply a face mask on a regular basis. This clears out the pores, strips away dead skin cells, restores pH balance, eliminates excess oil and helps prevent a host of skin conditions emanating from those problems.
Aloe vera face masks are particularly good at minimizing blemishes, healing acne and other scars and replenishing hydration. The more often you use them, the fewer skin problems you’ll have to deal with. The same goes for the 5 aloe vera face mask alternatives we profile above as well. Especially our top choice the Silicone Fusion™ system from Dermaclara.