Not Just for Breakfast Anymore: The Yogurt Face MaskOct 25, 2019
The face mask is one of the best things a woman can do to preserve the youthful beauty of her skin. They're easy to make, easy to apply, and help prevent an array of skin problems. There are nearly as many types of DIY face masks as there are people that use them. But the yogurt face mask is definitely near the top of the popularity list. Why? Because yogurt is full of nutrients that are absorbed by the skin and help restore hydration while fighting the scourge of free radicals. Yogurt face masks provide a range of other benefits that make them a common-sense addition to your daily beauty and skincare routine.
What Are Yogurt Face Masks and its Benefits?
A yogurt face mask is any DIY face mask that uses yogurt as its base. This type of face mask is not only great for your skin, it's also one of the easiest to use and most effective as well. The following are some of the most important benefits of the yogurt face mask.
- Enhanced hydration - Yogurt, and by extension the yogurt face mask, contains lactic acid. When applied to the skin lactic acid soaks in and activates the skin’s natural hydration mechanisms.
- Exfoliation - One of the little known qualities of lactic acid is that it’s a great exfoliant. So not only will it promote greater hydration, it will also remove dead skin cells and clear the way for new, more vibrant cells to take their place.
- Fights blemishes - Yogurt face masks undermine the bacteria that can cause pimples, acne and other bothersome blemishes. The result is clearer, smoother, brighter skin.
- Fights dark circles - Yogurt also contains small amounts of zinc. When regularly applied to the skin, this modest dose of zinc can reduce the appearance of dark circles under the eyes.
- Soothes sunburned skin - The zinc we just mentioned also alleviates the burning sensation caused by overexposure and has a general calming effect.
When Should You Use a Yogurt Face Mask and How do They Work?
There are a lot of good reasons to use yogurt face masks, and one of them is that they're so gentle you can use them every day. Some face masks are harsh and should not be used more than a couple of times a month. That’s not the case with the yogurt face mask.
There’s no secret to how the yogurt face mask works. You mix it with your other ingredients and apply it evenly on your face. You then leave it on for 20 or 30 minutes before washing it off. While it’s on its providing antioxidants to fight free radicals, the lactic acid is exfoliating, and the B vitamins are soaking in and helping reduce the appearance of blemishes.
"Even if (the mask) only increases your circulation, which it certainly would do, that fresh blood brings oxygen and nutrients to every skin cell," - Joanna Vargas, aesthetician
How Often Can You do a Yogurt Face Mask?
You can do a yogurt face mask every day if you want. It is one of the gentlest kinds of face masks, and there is no reason why you can't make it part of your daily beauty routine.
Can You Use a Yogurt Face Mask for Redness?
Yes, you can use a yogurt face mask for redness. In fact, their soothing and cooling properties make them the ideal mask for sunburned and wind-burned skin.
Top 7 Yogurt Face Masks to Try
Try any of these yogurt face masks to help restore that youthful glow and supple texture to your skin.
The Greek yogurt mask - Greek yogurt is full of probiotics, antioxidants and proteins. It’s great for soothing, moisturizing and toning the skin. To make this, you'll need some Greek yogurt, honey, a lemon and some blueberries. Here’s what you do:
- Place half a cup of yogurt and 2 tbsp of honey in a bowl and blend.
- Add the juice of 1 lemon and a few blueberries (optional) and mix.
- Mix until you have a smooth, creamy paste.
- Brush it onto your face evenly.
- Leave for 20 minutes then rinse off with warm water.
- Pat dry and moisturize.
The turmeric and yogurt mask - Turmeric is well known for its antioxidant properties and its ability to address a number of skin conditions. To make this mask, you'll need plain yogurt, honey, 2 tsp of turmeric and juice of half a lemon. Here’s what you do.
- Mix 1 tbsp of yogurt with the other ingredients in a bowl.
- Whip into a smooth paste.
- Apply evenly to your entire face.
- Leave on for 20 minutes then rinse with lukewarm water.
The honey and yogurt mask - Similar to our first mask but with a spicy twist. For this, you'll need a tbsp of plain yogurt, some honey, cinnamon and some nutmeg. Here’s how you make it:
- Mix the yogurt and 1 tsp of honey in a bowl with a pinch of both nutmeg and cinnamon.
- Mix it thoroughly until you have a smooth paste.
- Apply it evenly to your face using a brush if you have one.
- Leave it on for 10-15 minutes then wash off with warm water.
The lemon and yogurt face mask - The combination of these two ingredients soothes the skin and reduces redness and irritation. To make it you’ll need only 2 tbsp of yogurt and the juice of 1 lemon.
- Mix both in a bowl.
- Make sure the lemon juice is thoroughly blended in.
- Apply the paste evenly to your entire face.
- Leave it on for 15 minutes and then rinse with lukewarm water.
- Pat dry and moisturize.
The oatmeal and yogurt mask - The oatmeal and yogurt mask absorbs oils and reduces irritation. Great for sun-damaged skin or those prone to acne. To make it you’ll need a tbsp of fine oatmeal some plain yogurt and some honey. Here’s how you do it:
- Place a tbsp of oatmeal and a tbsp of yogurt in a bowl.
- Mix them thoroughly then add the honey.
- Mix until the entire concoction forms a smooth paste.
- Apply it evenly to your face using a brush.
- Leave for 10 minutes then rinse with warm water.
The avocado and yogurt mask - Avocados are rich in omega 3 fatty acids that provide a wealth of benefits to your skin. The combination of ingredients here moisturizes and tones while providing a healthy glow. Here’s how you make this mask:
- Mash 1/2 an avocado in a bowl.
- Add 1 tsp of honey and 1 tsp of yogurt.
- Mix thoroughly until you have a thick, smooth paste.
- Apply the paste evenly to your face.
- Leave it on for about 15 minutes then rinse with warm water.
The flour and yogurt mask - The last of our DIY yogurt masks is focused on exfoliation and clearing the skin to allow new, smoother skin to emerge. To make this, you'll need some gram flour (ground channa dal) and some plain yogurt. Here’s how you make it:
- Put 2 tbsp of yogurt and 2 of gram flour in a bowl.
- Mix them together until you get a nice thick paste.
- Using your hand, apply the paste evenly to your face.
- Leave it on for no more than 10 minutes.
- Rinse with warm water then splash with cold water.
“A hydrating mask is the only one people with dry or sensitive skin should apply," - Frankie Paige, spa owner
What is a Yogurt Face Mask For?
A yogurt face mask is for soothing, exfoliation, and rehydrating the skin.
Best 5 Alternative Products to Yogurt Face Masks
Not everyone has the time or inclination to indulge in DIY yogurt face masks. And that’s understandable. For those looking for a ready-made skin care solution, we recommend the following:
Clarafuse Silicone Fusion Patches
The clarafuse Silicone Fusion system was developed by Dermaclara Beauty and provides medical grade silicone patches that adhere gently to the skin. As they do, they create a nourishing micro-climate between themselves and the skin which pulls moisture to the surface, cleanses the pores, restores tone and color, and markedly reduces the appearance of acne scars and other blemishes. Clarafuse has been rigorously tested by BioScreen who determined it produces significant results in more than 90 percent of test subjects.
Giovanni Purifying Facial Mask
This is a great mask for those with oily skin. It contains a compelling combination of exfoliants and other ingredients that soothe and replenish hydration levels. Excess oil is removed, but not so much that your skin see-saws in the opposite direction and becomes dry. As can happen with lesser quality masks. Activated charcoal vacuums out clogged pores, aloe soothes and smoothes while goji berry provides beneficial antioxidants.
Bioré Charcoal Self-Heating One Minute Mask
This is a great alternative for those on the go. It’s a self-heating mask that warms upon contact with the skin, and deep cleans pores in only 1 minute. Take it with you on business trips or vacations when you always want to look and feel your best, but you don't have an hour to dedicate to a DIY mask. The main ingredient here is charcoal which, after cleaning out your pores, shrinks them up and restores a smooth appearance free of minor pock marks and blackheads.
Derma E Hydrating Clay Mask
The Derma E Hydrating Clay Mask is great for dry, aging skin that’s seen its share of sun. It contains hyaluronic acid that removes dead skin cells and makes way for healthy new cells to take their place. As a result, you'll see wrinkles smooth out over time and enjoy a more supple, responsive skin surface. Also contains plenty of antioxidant-rich green tea and olive along with avocado to soften the skin and vitamin E to nourish and replenish. Just be aware that this is a fairly intense mask so you’ll want to avoid using it every day.
Eau Thermale Avène Soothing Moisture Mask
The Eau Thermale Moisture Mask does a good job on short notice restoring hydration and creating a smooth surface for your makeup. Or not. You might feel so good after using this quick mask that you decide to let your own beautiful visage shine through. In any case, you'll look and feel lighter, your skin will feel smoother, and it's fragrance-free, so it's not going to argue with your perfume. You also have the choice of leaving on overnight if you wish. It's that gentle.
Where Can You Buy Yogurt Face Masks?
Any of the products we profiled above can be purchased through the dozens of major online beauty retailers such as Sephora. They can also be purchased through myriad brick and mortar beauty shops. If you have an interest in saving street-level shopping, that's always a good idea.
Several can be purchased through Amazon. But we would advise caution and suggest you purchase only through the manufacturer’s Amazon shop. Finally, our top choice, clarafuse Silicone Fusion patches, can only be purchased through the official Dermaclara Beauty website which you’ll find here.
Final tips: Why You Should Add Face Masks to Your Current Skincare Routine
The yogurt face mask is an excellent way to provide your face with the gentle but thorough cleansing it needs. It makes perfect sense to incorporate it into your daily skincare routine, especially if you live in the city and spend time outdoors, where your skin is exposed to an array of environmental pollutants.
Keeping your skin clean and clear with a yogurt face mask will also help fend off numerous skin conditions, help you recover from excessive sun exposure and create an ideal canvas onto which you can apply your moisturizer. Just remember that if the notion of the yogurt face mask doesn't appeal to you, the clarafuse system by Dermaclara will replicate all the benefits without the mess.