In many cases, even before jowls make their first appearance or eye bags become a major concern, our necks begin to sag and wrinkle in the most unsettling way. Neck wrinkles can result from any number of causes but regardless of what produced them, the effect is equally distressing and visually unappealing.
But that doesn't mean neck wrinkles need to be a permanent feature. There are actually a number of ways they can be treated, and in some cases, virtually eliminated. Below, we’re going to look into neck wrinkles and how best to deal with them.
What Causes Neck Wrinkles?
Neck wrinkle causes range from lifestyle choices to genetics and everything in between. Here are some of the most common reasons your neck is becoming wrinkled:
- Smoking - Smoking suffocates your skin. It's that simple. When you smoke, you deprive your skin of the oxygen it needs to maintain its elasticity and tone. The result is a prune-ish skin that’s wrinkled and dry.
- Aging - Father time is undefeated as they say but that doesn’t mean you have to give up without a fight. There are myriad products such as Clarasome by Dermaclara that will help you retain the youthful luster of your skin far beyond the timescale nature has in store.
- Air pollution - While air quality in the US is actually better today than it was 50 years ago, it's still no walk in the park. Atmospheric pollutants attach themselves to your skin when you’re out and about so it’s vital to wash your face and neck thoroughly every day.
- Stress - The neck is unlike any other part of the body. It’s under constant stress from having to hold up and move your head to do your bidding. All this motion and stress can have an adverse effect on your neck skin.
- Genetics - To a large extent, you are what your parents were. And if sagging neck skin and wrinkles run in the family, you'll likely inherit them yourself.
Are There Ways to Remove Neck Wrinkles at Home?
Remove wrinkles at home by using any of the following methods.
- Almond oil - Almond oil is full of antioxidants and as we all know, they’re the front line of defense against cell-killing free radicals. We recommend heating a small amount of almond oil until it’s warm to the touch then massaging your neck with it. Do this 3 times a day.
- Aloe Vera gel - Aloe Vera is rich in wrinkle-fighting malic acid. Cut an aloe vera leaf in half and scoop out the gel. Put it on the tips of your first two fingers and then massage it into your neck. Rub it in for a good long time before washing it off with cold water. Do this every day.
- Banana mask - Bananas are rich in our antioxidants. Mash one banana properly and then add a teaspoon of honey and mix until you have a thick paste. Apply this liberally to your neck. Leave it on for 10 minutes and then wash with cold water.
- Lemon juice - Lemon juice is one of the great natural astringents of nature. This makes it a common-sense choice as a way to deal with wrinkles caused by loose skin. The citric acid in lemon juice also does a bang-up job removing dead skin cells and clearing room for new, healthier, tighter skin to emerge. You can dip your fingers into a bit of lemon juice and rub it in or use a clean washcloth. Let is sit on the skin for 20-30 minutes before washing it off.
“Jewelry takes people’s minds off your wrinkles.” - Sonja Henie
Are Neck Wrinkle Exercises Effective?
There are a number of neck wrinkle exercises that you can do at home. While none is guaranteed to prevent or eliminate wrinkles, they may help minimize their appearance. Here are some of the most effective:
- A, U, A, U etc - They're vowels, but they're also a great way to help maintain the integrity of your neck skin. Looking in the mirror repeat the letters 10 times without ever letting your lips touch. Do 3 sets of 10.
- The chin lift - Tilt your head upward so that you’re looking at a high point on the wall but, not the ceiling. Put your hand over the upper part of your neck then lift your chin outward toward the wall as far as you can without moving your head. Hold it for a few seconds and repeat until tired.
- The head-turn - Sit straight-backed in a chair with shoulders relaxed. Then turn your head slowly from one side to the other. It's important that the motion be smooth and controlled. Repeat up to 10 times in each direction. Do this as many times as you like during the day.
Best Treatments to Remove Neck Wrinkles
There are a number of clinical treatments available for neck wrinkles. Some of the most popular are:
- Botox - Botox is a bacterial toxin that paralyzes nerve activity and results in the skin above the injection site becoming smooth. It ‘ one of the most common types of cosmetic treatment in use today, with more than 6 million treatments each year in the US alone. Botox is considered basically safe and effective although the effect only lasts a few months.
- Fillers - Fillers are typically used for deep wrinkles and/or a sagging jawline. They’re considered a safe and effective non-surgical procedure that smooths out wrinkles in the jaw and upper neck. This type of procedure is also often used around the eyes.
- Collagen injection - Collagen injection is another type of filler, but one that’s considered superior to others because the results are often long-lasting. They sometimes have the side benefit of inducing elastin production as well.
Best Products That Can Remove Neck Wrinkles
Clarasome provides a rich tapestry of essential ingredients that clear away dead skin cells, treat damaged skin, and restore tone to wrinkle-prone areas. It addresses signs of premature aging and infuses the skin with aloe and glycerin to optimize moisturization and restore balance and sheen.
Results that have been confirmed by rigorous testing conducted in accordance with FDA Good Clinical Practices Guidelines. This is our top choice for addressing both the causes and appearance of neck wrinkles.
- Coconut oil enhances overall skin condition
- Can be used on face or neck with equal effectiveness
- Hyaluronic acid removes dead and damaged cells
- The unique combination of nutrients restores luster and tone to your skin
- Need to use it on a fairly regular basis
Estée Lauder Resilience Face and Neck Crème $92
Resilience is formulated to promote the production of collagen and elastin—the two vital components to supple, reactive skin. Wrinkles are the product of a lack of tone after all so restoring tone should be job #1. Estée Lauder Resilience uses tried and true methods of facial toning and applies them to their face and neck cream to achieve satisfying results for its users.
- You can feel it working
- Can be used on the neck or face
- Your neck will likely feel better before it looks better
L'Oréal Paris Advanced RevitaLift Face & Neck Day Cream $18
Like clarasome and Resilience, L'Oréal’s Advanced RevitaLift cream doubles as both a face and neck cream. It’s the kind of versatility we love to see in a beauty product. Advanced RevitaLift contains retinol, which goes right to work, reducing lines and restoring surface tone. Your skin will start to feel better in a hurry with this affordable beauty cream by L'Oréal.
- Does a fine job re-establishing skin tone
- You’ll start to see results after just a few uses
- Can sometimes leave skin feeling a tad dry.
“Wrinkles don’t scare me… but I look at surgery and that scares me.” - Christy Turlington
Where Can I Buy Products to Remove Neck Wrinkles?
The above products can all be purchased through their respective company websites. Most can also be found on the Amazon marketplace or at leading beauty retailers like Sephora, where you’ll find them both online and at the brick and mortar stores.
We suggest that when buying such products from Amazon, make sure to purchase them only from the manufacturer or an authorized reseller.
Our top choice, Clarasome by Dermaclara Beauty is available on the company’s official website where you're guaranteed to always receive the genuine article at the best price.
Top Expert Tips on How to Remove Neck Wrinkles
Experts agree that different causes often call for different neck wrinkle treatments.
- Cause: Sleeping on your side - Believe it or not, sleeping on your side can create neck wrinkles by forcing the skin of your neck into the pillow.
- Treatment - Facial exercises that include stretching the neck and tilting the head can strengthen the neck muscles.
- Cause: Sun exposure - It’s long been known that overexposure to UV rays can break down elastin and stunt collagen production.
- Treatment - Clarasome by Dermaclara with its blend of hyaluronic acid and vital nutrients helps restore vitality to your skin.
- Cause: Weight gain or loss - Fluctuations in weight are a common cause of loose, wrinkled neck skin.
- Treatment - A good neck mask can have the same tightening effects that a face mask can have on your face. Look for masks that include peptides to reduce or eliminate fine lines.
- Cause: Neglect or genetics - It’s not always easy to admit but a lot of us go through prolonged periods where we don’t take proper care of our skin. Others inherit their neck wrinkles from their parents. In either case, these can be some of the most difficult neck wrinkles to get rid of.
- Treatment - While surgical solutions should always be the last house on the block in some cases, a neck lift may be justified.