There are a lot of different causes and treatments for thin skin under the eyes.
Skin under your eyes is thinner than other areas on your face, so it's more prone to wrinkling and sagging. The skin here is also very delicate, which means that you must be extra gentle when applying products.
With a little bit of effort and care, it can be dealt with effectively. Here we will discuss how to deal with thin skin under the eyes naturally so that you can get rid of them once and for all! Top Causes of Having Thin Skin Under Your Eyes
Why do some of us have thinner skin under our eyes than others? Here are some of the most common reasons.
- Sleep deprivation - Our skin needs time to regroup and regenerate, just like every other part of our body. That's what sleep is for. If we don’t get enough sleep, our body can't produce adequate amounts of collagen and elastin; the two substances that fill out the under layers of skin and make the surface appear smooth and supple. A lack of sleep is responsible for a host of skin problems, including wrinkles, dark circles, droopy skin and more.
- Genetics - Genetics are thought to be one of the primary causes of thin under eye skin. Most people don’t want to hear that because you can’t do anything about your DNA. But it’s an unfortunate fact that, just as genes determine your eye color, facial structure, hair color and more they also play a role in determining if the skin under your eyes will be a little extra thin.
- Overexposure to the sun - Our nearest star is the giver of life and the destroyer of skin. You’d think that any being that emerges in the light of the sun would have sun-friendly skin. But alas, not so. Excessive exposure to ultraviolet rays can cause a multitude of problems from the annoying to the life-threatening. And while thin skin under the eyes isn't a life-threatening condition, you couldn't call it "welcome" either.
- Aging - As we get older, we gain in wisdom and lose in a number of other ways. Over time collagen production virtually grinds to a halt for reasons that are not completely understood. When that happens, the skin loses elasticity and begins to droop and sag. This result is a panoply of cosmetic issues from smile lines to wrinkled foreheads to worry lines and thin skin under your eyes.
“Your eye skin is often the canary in the coal mine for allergic reactions or irritation.” - Dr. Cynthia Bailey
How to Thicken up Skin Under Your Eyes?
To thicken up skin under your eyes, consider a clinical treatment. Next, we'll look at 5 of the best.
Top 5 Clinical Treatments for Thin Skin Under Eyes
- Under eye lift surgery - Under eye lift surgery can provide a more youthful appearance and remove any bags that may have developed there. It’s a popular choice and normally takes anywhere from 1 to 3 hours. It’s also one of the few treatments that offers anything like long term relief. But it’s not without its risks. Side effects - or more accurately after effects - may include a tight feeling around the eyes, bruising and sometimes swelling. In addition, some people complain of a burning and itching sensation in the days and weeks that follow surgery.
- Chemical peels - We normally think of chemical peels as a treatment for blotchy skin or as a way to remove worn, aging skin and allow for the healthy under layer to emerge. We don’t, however, often think about using chemical peels under our eyes. But the fact is the same thing that makes them effective on our cheeks makes them effective in treating thin skin under your eyes. Removing old, damaged skin will allow smoother, more supple skin to emerge.
- Fillers - There are 2 main types of fillers. The first entails injecting a substance called “hyaluronic acid” into the space under the eyes. This stimulates collagen and elastin production, which, in time, fills out the space and makes the surface appear smoother. The second method is to inject an inert substance into the area that fills in the space directly. You have to be careful when opting for this procedure because the filler itself in time may begin to cause sagging.
- Laser resurfacing - While the peel relies on chemicals to burn off the old skin laser resurfacing uses a concentrated beam of light to do the same thing. That laser light removes the outer layer of skin but also penetrates to stimulate collagen production in the layers underneath. As the laser works its way across the area under your eyes, you're likely to feel nothing more than a slight pinching sensation.
- Collagen induction therapy - This process - also called “micro-needling” - entails moving a roller across the skin under the eyes. This roller contains scores of tiny needles that make microscopic punctures in the skin. Not enough to cause pain or bleeding, but just enough to get the attention of the body's repair mechanisms. They then take over and, if all goes well, new skin cells are created to replace the affected cells and collagen production is stimulated, plumping up the area over time.
“Time” is an important word here because all of these treatments will take time for their benefits to become apparent. Once they do, however, the effects should last for quite a while.
What Products are Good for Treating Under Eye Wrinkles?
Products that are good for treating under eye wrinkles, including Clarasome Radiance Restoring Moisturizer. If you are not of a mind to subject yourself to any of the above clinical treatments, consider Clarasome or one of the other products we'll look at next.
Top 7 Products for Treating Thin Under Eye Skin
Dermaclara Beauty, the makers of clarasome Radiance Restoring Moisturizer, brought in testing giant BioScreen to determine the effectiveness of their product. The results showed that more than 90 percent of women experienced significant improvement in the appearance and feel of their skin after using Radiance. We found it to provide impressive results, tightening and smoothing the skin, and promoting collagen production. Our top choice.
- Hyaluronic acid removes dead skin cells and promotes collagen production.
- Lightens blemishes and restores surface vigor.
- The positive effects don’t disappear if you skip a day.
- Can only be purchased through the official Dermaclara website.
Estée Lauder New Dimension Firm and Fill $79
Like the name says New Dimension Firm and Fill from Estée Lauder takes charge of that tired-looking skin under your eyes and sets about to restore its vitality. While it’s not a fountain of youth, you are likely to notice a marked improvement in the way your under eye skin looks and feels if you use it regularly.
- Soothes and rehydrates tired, damaged skin.
- Helps reverse some of the effects of UV damage.
- Not so great a minimizing blemishes.
Clinique Pep-Start Eye Cream $26
One contributing factor to loose, saggy skin under the eyes is a loss of hydration. Clinique Pep-Start Eye Cream is absorbed by the skin and replenishes moisture levels in the supporting layers. Causing them to become plumper and to smooth out surface wrinkles and hollows.
- Restores hydration to the thin skin under your eyes.
- No chance you’re going to lose track of that orange tube.
- It’s likely going to be a while before you see results.
Jan Marini Luminate Eye Gel $93
The most expensive eye cream on our list does a good job justifying its price by promoting collagen production, reducing fine lines and wrinkles and rehydrating tired, dry skin. The ingredients here are all dermatologist approved and the cream feels great going on.
- Firms, moisturizes and repairs dry, tired skin.
- Helps restore proper hydration levels.
- Well outside many budgets.
Peter Thomas Roth Hydra-Gel Eye Patches $75
Peter Thomas Roth is not messing around with these 24-carat gold-infused eye patches. Place them on the affected skin under your eyes and they help draw moisture to the surface. This has the added benefit of bolstering the firmness of the skin. The patches are also infused with collagen which of course, stimulates plumping.
- Surprisingly effective at smoothing out wrinkles under the eyes.
- Also delivers a tiny dose of caffeine which tightens up the skin.
- Some of the effects are very short-lived.
StriVectin Multi-Action Eye Cream $65
Strictly speaking, StriVectin Multi-Action Eye Cream is marketed as a treatment for dark circles under the eyes. But we think it underestimates itself. Its wealth of collagen promoting peptides means it also does a bang-up job smoothing out wrinkles and fine lines and restoring the thin skin under your eyes to its youthful vigor.
- Smooths the skin surface and lightens dark patches.
- Makes the skin under your eyes feel noticeably better.
- Like a lot of the best eye creams, it's not cheap.
M-61 Hydraboost Eye Concentrate $78
Restoring proper hydration is one of the most important jobs of any eye cream. Some do it better than others. That’s certainly the case with M-61 Hydraboost Eye Concentrate. Hydraboost features a powerful combination of hyaluronic acid and peptides that boost collagen and elastin production and smooth out puffiness.
- Doesn’t take long to see positive results.
- Hyaluronic acid and peptides are a reliable combination.
- The effects tend to be rather short-lived.
How to Plump Skin Under Eyes Naturally?
To plump skin under the eyes naturally, you'll need to employ some preventative measures like wearing sun protection, getting enough sleep, and drinking lots of water.
“Healthy skin is your first line of defense against bacteria and pollutants in the environment.” - Dr. Oz
Where Can I Buy Products That Treat Thin Skin Under Your Eyes?
Your skin is thirsty for hydration.
Clarasome moisturizer is a lightweight, fast-absorbing formula that penetrates deep into the skin. This smoothes and tones while hydrating dry or damaged areas.
This serum will leave your skin feeling silky soft, not sticky or shiny like some other brands. You’ll see results in 1 hour of use! Reduce fine lines & wrinkles with this anti-aging product that works on all ages and ethnicities.
Click here to try it out today!
Final tips: Why it’s Important to Have Healthy Skin Under Your Eyes
The thin skin under your eyes is one of the first parts of your body to show visible signs of aging. The skin often suffers a loss of elasticity and develops wrinkles and lines faster than other areas. This can cause your eyes to appear sunken and dark, on top of being wrinkled and dry. It’s not a pretty picture. The above listed clinical treatments offer potential medium to long-range solutions. While products like clarasome from Dermaclara promise the same without the surgery. You decide which is best for you.