How Do I Use an Anti-Aging Serum?Dec 16, 2016
Anti-aging serums are antioxidant-rich liquids that contain peptides and collagen-boosting ingredients that help keep your skin taut and rejuvenated. With proper use, anti-aging serums often help battle the signs of aging by reducing fine lines and wrinkles.
If you're trying to improve your daily facial cleansing routine, you may be wondering how to use an anti-aging serum. Fortunately, we understand that this can be confusing if you've never used this product before, so we've compiled this step-by-step guide to help your skin look spectacular!
7 Steps to Proper Anti-Aging Serum Application
1. Wash your hands. Don't rely on the cleansing agents found in your facial cleansers themselves. It is important to thoroughly wash your hands with soap and water before you touch your face or any of the products you'll be applying to your delicate facial skin.
2. Use only a small amount of serum. Unlike lotions and cleansers, a little bit of anti-aging serum will go a very long way. You only need a dollop that's large enough to place a very thin layer of the product on your face. Serum isn't meant to cover your skin like a mask; rather the layer needs to be thin enough to be absorbed directly into your skin.
3. Warm the serum. You may wish to place a small amount of serum into your palms and rub them together to warm the liquid, but since you don't need much serum to get the job done, you may find it less wasteful to place the serum on your middle finger. From here, you can simply rub your middle and index fingers with your thumb to produce the desired warming result.
4. Apply the serum in an upward motion. You want to apply your serum upwards, in a gravity-defying motion. Using long, upward motions, gently massage the serum into your face.
5. Apply the serum to your face and neck. Many people neglect the neck area when they're performing their beauty regimens, but the neck needs just as much attention as your facial skin, because it's just as delicate and susceptible to the signs of aging. Vitamins A, B, and C, in addition to peptide-intensifying ingredients and collagen boosters, will help firm the fragile skin on your face and neck, helping to keep wrinkles and sagging at bay.
6. Allow the anti-aging serum to absorb completely. There is no need to towel your face to dry it, as there shouldn't be excess serum leftover on your face. This product is formulated to absorb right into the skin, so you just need to give it a few minutes to go to work. By allowing your skin to absorb anti-aging serum on its own time, you will be helping to protect yourself against harmful free radicals and elemental damage that enhances early signs of aging.
7. Apply the proper moisturizer. Depending on the time of day, you should reach for different ingredients. In the morning, you'll want to apply a sunscreen next, which will help block out the UV rays you may encounter throughout the day. After the sunscreen is applied, go for a hydrating daytime moisturizer that will help keep your skin dewy throughout the day.
In the evening, your bedtime preparations should include a great night cream after your anti-aging serum is absorbed into your skin. As you sleep, a great night cream should enhance its hydrating powers, leaving you looking refreshed and beautiful when you step in front of the mirror in the morning.
When Should You Use Anti-Aging Serum in Your Cleansing Regimen?
Apply your anti-aging serum twice daily -- Once in the morning and once at night. In both cases, be sure you've thoroughly cleansed your skin before applying the serum to ensure it is optimally absorbed into your skin.
Always apply your serum before you apply your makeup in the morning to reinforce the anti-aging elements it will provide throughout the day. In the evening, while your skin is resting, this product will happily go to work, battling wrinkles, lines, and the signs of aging you've endured throughout the day.
Did this guide help you understand how to use an anti-aging serum? Please share your comments in the section below!