The Best Ways to Get Rid of Eye LinesOct 08, 2019
Like most people, you probably became aware you had eye lines by accident. You were just looking in the mirror one day to check your makeup or hair, and there they were. Eye lines. The appearance of eye lines is as unwelcome as the first appearance of grey hair.
But after the initial shock wears off, most women start formulating a plan of attack to deal with them. That plan of attack usually begins with an internet search such as “How to get rid of eye lines." The good news is that there are some pretty effective ways to do just that. So let’s take a look at them.
What Causes Eye Lines?
The causes of eye lines tend to be the same as the causes of forehead wrinkles, crepey skin, crow’s feet, and other skin conditions of the face. Those causes are:
- Aging - “As you age and your skin loses elasticity, it won’t bounce back the same way it did when you were younger,” explains plastic surgeon Dr. Michael Edwards.
- Sunlight - Ultraviolet light penetrates the outer layer of skin and disrupts collagen production. This, in turn, causes skin to lose its structural integrity.
- Smoking - Smoking isn’t only harmful to your lungs and heart but also robs your skin of oxygen. This causes it to sag and become dry, prompting the formation of eye lines.
- Dehydration - You should be drinking 6 to 8 cups of water every day in order to maintain proper hydration. If you’re not drinking enough water, it will show on your face.
- Repeated expressions - Sorry to say, but too much smiling is a recipe for eye lines. Then again, so is squinting and laughing and making funny faces.
When Do Eye Lines Likely Appear?
It’s never fun to look in the mirror and spot eye lines for the first time. But while everyone shares a common disdain for the appearance of eye lines, they don't necessarily share a common age when those lines first appear. For some, eye lines won’t become an issue until they’re well into middle age.
While for others, crow’s feet, fine lines, and saggy skin may first become noticeable in their early 20s or even earlier. A lot depends on whether you have a good skincare routine and whether or not your lifestyle encourages the development of eye lines.
How to Get Rid of Eye Lines Quickly?
To get rid of eye lines quickly, you will need to undergo some form of clinical treatment. Whether that be surgery, fillers or something else. Let’s look at the best and most popular clinical treatments now.
Top 5 Clinical Treatments for Reducing Eye Lines
The following are widely considered to be the 5 best and most effective methods for dealing with eye lines:
- Botox - While Botox isn’t recommended for heavy lines and folds like nasolabial lines, it actually works really well on eye lines, provided they aren’t deep-seated. Botox treatment requires injecting a neurotoxin into the skin under the lines. This slowly causes the muscles under the lines to relax. Once they do, any lines in the skin above the injection area are bound to flatten out. The good news is that Botox is safe and effective. The bad news is that it’s temporary and expensive.
- Chemical peels - Chemical peel sounds a bit harsh, no doubt. And anyone who has ever had one knows that it can be. But chemical peels can also be very effective when it comes to removing dead and dying skin cells and clearing the way for a new layer of fresh, bright, healthier-looking skin to shine through. They’re also well-known for their ability to rid your face of smaller lines and wrinkles, including eye lines.
- Dermal fillers - There are two kinds of dermal fillers currently in use. One type injects hyaluronic acid into the tissue, which has the effect of promoting collagen and elastin production. In time, this causes the wrinkled area to push outward and the lines to smooth out. The other kind uses a mostly inert material that simply fills up the area under the eye lines. Again, causing the area to push outward, smoothing out the lines.
- Micro-needling - Also called "collagen induction therapy," this treatment involves rolling a handheld derma pen over the skin to prompt the body’s healing and restoration mechanisms to kick in. That pen has scores of tiny needles embedded in it which puncture the surface of the skin, causing just enough harm to get the body’s attention. When done around the eyes, this type of therapy is capable of removing fine eye lines and restoring a smooth appearance.
- Laser resurfacing - This process is similar to that of a chemical peel, except that the clinician is using a laser instead of chemicals to remove tiny amounts of skin from the surface. At the same time, the laser is removing the damaged outer layer of skin it is also penetrating to the tissue underneath and promoting the production of collagen and elastin.
How to Get Rid of Eye Lines without Surgery?
To get rid of eye lines without surgery, you should use effective products such as clarasome by Dermaclara Beauty.
7 Best Products to Help Get Rid of Eye Lines
Clarasome Collagen Boosting Moisturizer by Dermaclara, $39
Clarasome has been subjected to rigorous 3rd party testing by BioScreen. They concluded that in more than 90 percent of cases, it produced quantifiable progress when it came to minimizing fine lines and wrinkles and restoring proper hydration levels.
The product addresses defects in the skin, thereby eliminating the causes of eye lines and preventing their formation. This moisturizer then uses aloe vera and almond oil to restore luster and promote a smooth, supple skin surface.
- Protects your skin against a variety of environmental contaminants
- Uses hyaluronic acid to clear away damaged skin cells and promote collagen production
- Restores the skin’s natural moisture barrier
- Won’t find it in a store—must be purchased via the official Dermaclara website
Peter Thomas Roth Hydra-Gel Eye Patches, $75
With a name that’s too long to list here, these patches use actual 24-karat gold to promote the return of a moist, supple surface to the skin.
They’re intended to firm up the affected area of skin and restore its natural pH balance, hydration levels, and more. The pads are also infused with caffeine and collagen, which are absorbed by the skin and serve to initiate plumping and produce a more vital looking surface.
- Much more than just a gimmick, they are known to be quite effective in some cases
- Gentler than chemical peels or laser resurfacing
- Some people have reported that the patches irritate their skin
Jan Marini Luminate Eye Gel, $93
Regardless of the cause of your eye lines—whether it be UV damage, loss of collagen, loss of hydration or something else—Jan Marini Luminate Eye Gel promises to effectively address the problem. Does it keep its promise? Or does it leave you standing at the eye line altar? In many cases, we found that it's true to its word.
- Helps reduce the appearance of eye lines and crepey skin
- Feels great going on and restores a soft, supple skin surface
- Pretty expensive considering its effects tend to be short-lived
AmorePacific Vitalizing Eye Essence, $95
While this product is significantly less effective than our top choice, clarasome, but seems to work so well in some cases and hardly at all in others is a bit of a mystery. When it works, you can feel your skin responding to the touch of the applicator in a very pleasing way.
- Capable of providing almost instant improvement in some cases
- No harsh chemicals or artificial ingredients that will upset your skin
- The results are spectacularly hit or miss
Dior Essential Eye Serum, $72
What’s a fashion house doing in the eye line removal business? Who knows? But Dior’s Essential Eye Serum detoxifies the skin in the affected area and removes dead and damaged skin cells in the process. By doing so, it buttresses the fragile skin around the eyes and helps diminish the appearance of eye lines.
- Visibly reduces the appearance of fine eye lines and crow’s feet
- Makes the skin around your eyes look and feel healthier
- Takes time to work
Estée Lauder New Dimension Firm and Fill Eye System, $79
Firm and Fill Eye Serum uses a delightful feeling gel that promotes collagen production and helps fill out the area around the eye. This, in turn, causes the skin to push outward against eye lines reducing their appearance.
They call this a two-step system, but in reality, you just apply a couple of dabs of the cream to the affected area and then apply your normal moisturizer.
- Restores vitality to tired, damaged skin
- Reduces the appearance of eye lines, including crow’s feet
- Takes numerous applications to produce results
First Aid Beauty Triple Remedy AM Gel Cream, $36
You apply Triple Remedy AM Gel Cream in the morning and let it absorb into the skin around your eyes. During the course of the day, it produces a modest plumping effect that helps reduce the appearance of eye lines. Although moderately effective, the benefit tends to be short-lived.
- Actually does a decent job reducing the appearance of eye lines
- One of the more modestly priced eye line products
- Any positive effect is typically gone the next day
Where Can I Buy Products to Get Rid of Eye Lines?
You can purchase most of the products we just looked at from Amazon or other different online beauty product retailers such as Sephora. Most are also available at high-end department stores or at countless brick and mortar beauty supply stores.
Our top choice for non-surgical relief, however, is clarasome by Dermaclara Beauty. It’s only available through the official Dermaclara website which you can reach by clicking here.
Final Tips: How to Prevent Eye Lines
The best way to deal with eye lines is to prevent them from occurring in the first place. Here are some tips that will help you do just that:
- Drink water - According to dermatologist Rachel Nazarian, "Without adequate water intake, skin appears duller, and wrinkles and pores are more prominent."
- Develop a good skincare routine - Oftentimes, lines are as much a result of dirty, tired skin as they are of other factors like dehydration. Get in the habit of taking proper care of your skin.
- Quit smoking - Smoking kills people. But before it takes their life, it first wreaks havoc on their skin. Smoking is one of the best ways to ensure you develop eye lines.
- Use sunscreen - UV rays destroy collagen and elastin. That, in turn, causes the skin to sag and wrinkle so always apply sunscreen when going out.
- Wear sunglasses - Many eye lines are the result of squinting. You can help prevent lines from forming by getting in the habit of wearing sunglasses whenever the sun is out.