Get Rid of Jowls Fast: Treatment and Prevention
Jowls are a problem for many women. They can make you look older and more weathered than your years suggest. If you have jowls, it is important to do something about them before they get worse.
Most of us are not getting enough moisture in our diets, which means that we're not keeping our skin as hydrated as it should be.
This blog post will give you some tips on how to prevent and treat jowls so that they won’t be as noticeable in the future.
If you want the fast answer though, check out our Dermatologist approved Clararsome moisturize
What Causes Jowls?
- Aging - As we age, our skin loses its elasticity and begins to sag—everywhere. We may first notice it around our elbows, but it soon spreads to other parts of the body, particularly the head. The skin above our eyes sags, our cheeks lose their plump, and along the jawline, jowls form.
- Sun damage - Without the sun, there’s no life. But for some reason, our favorite star has never been good for your skin. Spending long hours in the sun without adequate protection can cause UV rays to damage the collagen and elastin in our skin. This disrupts the integrity of the skin and contributes to jowls developing along the jawline.
- Genetics - While jowls are, to a degree, inevitable—not everyone will develop them to the same extent. With that said, if your parents have jowls, chances are good that you’ll have them too. The best thing to do is to start taking care of your skin now. This will give you a chance to delay their appearance and minimize them when they do appear.
- Weight loss - Sudden or extreme weight loss is going to loosen the skin all over your body, including your face. In which case you shouldn’t be surprised if you develop jowls.
How to Get Rid of Jowls Naturally?
To get rid of jowls naturally, try exercises designed to strengthen the muscles of the jaw. Here are 7 of the most effective jawline exercises.
7 Best Facial Exercises to Get Rid of Jowls
- Jawline Tilt - Stand up with your back straight. Tilt your head as far back as you comfortably can. Put both hands gently on your neck and then pull down (again, gently) until the skin over your jaw it tight. Now pretend to chew. Continue for 30 seconds. If you find it difficult to simulate chewing with nothing in your mouth, try some chewing gum and make an exaggerated chewing motion. This will give the muscles of your jaw a workout.
- Toothless Grin - Lift your bottom lip as far as you can over your top lip. Get it as close as possible to the bottom of your nose. Now leave it there while you try to smile. You should feel tension along your jawline as the muscles try to adapt. Hold the smile for 10 seconds. Try 2 reps of this exercise, resting for no more than 5 or 10 seconds between each rep. Do this several times a day.
- The Jawline Slap - This may sound a bit punitive, but we're not talking about the full arm, roundhouse slaps. Just gentle upward motions that are more like strong taps. The idea is to stimulate blood flow to the tissue along the jawline. One of the reasons skin begins to loosen is a lack of blood flow largely caused by a lack of physical activity. Tapping along the jaw produces a physiological reaction that draws blood into the tissue. To do this particular exercise, use the back of your hand and move from ear to ear along the jawline several times. Repeat as many times as you like during the day but be sure to stop when you begin to feel a tingling in the skin.
- Fake Yawn - Nothing complicated about this exercise. It’s pretty much exactly what it sounds like. Slowly open your mouth as far as you would if you were engaged in a heartfelt yawn. After holding it open for 5 seconds begin to close it. But take your time. The process of closing should take 20 seconds, minimum. Just before your teeth are about to touch open up again and repeat the process. Do 4 or 5 sets at a time, several times a day.
- Cheek Lift - Open your mouth to form an O shape with your lips. Hold it for several seconds. Now transition to a smile. Your cheeks should lift naturally toward your eyes, pulling the tissue on the jawline up with them. For good measure, press the tips of your fingers into the cheek muscles and gently push upward. Hold for a few seconds. Release and repeat. Do this 10 times twice a day.
- Stretch and Smile - None of these exercises is exactly standard fitness club fare but trying to rid your jawline of jowls isn’t exactly a standard fitness goal either. For this exercise, make a fist with each hand and then push them into the sides of your neck right below the ear. Press in gently but firmly. Now pull down on the skin with your fists until the skin is tight. Then smile naturally. In most cases, people will feel the muscles in the jaw contracting. Though some people swear by this exercise, we found it to be the least effective.
- Happy Cheeks - Begin by smiling with your lips together but relaxed. Make it the biggest, widest toothless smile you can. Now purse your lips together hard. You should feel the muscles in your cheeks activate. Now press the tips of your index fingers into the corners of your mouth and push upward toward the cheeks. Hold for 20 seconds and then repeat 5 times. Do this twice a day.
The thing about these kinds of exercises is that there are virtually no clinical data to support the notion that they actually work. Up to this point, it's all word of mouth. People say they work, so the word gets passed down the line. Then they end up on the internet. Then more people say they worked or didn't work and so on.
Our experience is that some of them show promise. But any positive effects will take time to register. If, in fact, they do at all. So don't expect miracles.
Top 5 Procedures for Saggy Jowl
1) Jowl Lift - Unlike a full facelift, the jowl lift can often be done on an outpatient basis. During the procedure, the surgeon will make a small incision under the jawline and use it to remove loose tissue and tighten up the muscles.
They may also remove some loose skin in the process to tighten things up on the outside. Most of the time, a properly done jowl lift will last 20-30 years or even be good for life.
2) Jowl Liposuction - Some plastic surgeons will do jawline liposuction as part of a full facelift. But no matter, because jowl liposuction is available as a stand-alone procedure should you want it. The process involves vacuuming out fat from the jawline and surrounding area.
The thing about this procedure is that it requires precision in targeting the fatty deposits to remove and then removing just the right amounts.
3) Fractional Lasers - This is an exacting procedure that uses multiple laser streams to produce contraction of the skin, while at the same time stimulating collagen production. When done by a talented surgeon, the combination of the two can lead to the saggy area along the jawline contracting.
Once restored to its rightful place your jawline should stay taut for a few years.
4) Thermage - The goal of this radio frequency-based procedure is to stimulate the growth of collagen along the jawline to fill in depressions and smooth out saggy skin. While results can be impressive, particularly for those with only small jowls, it usually doesn’t last more than a few months.
How to Get Rid of Jowls with Fillers?
To get rid of jowls with fillers, doctors use natural or man-made substances that are injected into the substrata of the jawline tissue. Some of these substances are designed to promote collagen and elastin production, while others are inert.
5) Fillers - As we mentioned, dermal fillers are natural or man-made substances injected into the jawline in an attempt to smooth things out. The ones intended to promote collagen production will require time before you’re likely to see results.
While directly injecting an inert substance to fill a void will produce immediate results. Don’t expect the results to last, however. You'll typically be back for more treatment in 6 to 9 months.
What are the Best Procedures for Sagging Jowls?
The best procedure for sagging jowls is far and away the jowl lift. It’s the only procedure which, if done correctly, will result in more or less permanent elimination of jowls. Nothing else really comes close.
“You shouldn’t (have plastic surgery) if you just have a broad sense of disliking yourself,” - Dr. Eugene Elliot, a board-certified plastic surgeon
Best Products to Help With Jowls
Clarasome Radiance Restoring Moisturizer by Dermaclara $44.99
The best way to avoid having to undergo expensive clinical treatments is to treat your skin right before jowls ever appear. And the best way to do that is with clarasome Radiance Restoring Moisturizer by Dermaclara Beauty.
This is top-of-the-line skin treatment in moisturizer form that will remove dead skin cells, promote collagen production, enhance tone and tightness, and allow your skin to retain necessary moisture. Clarasome has been subjected to rigorous 3rd party testing by BioScreen who confirmed its efficacy.
- Proven to produce taut, supple skin
- Works quickly and effectively
- Hyaluronic acid enhances the skin’s youthful appearance
- If you have large, pronounced jowls, no cream will do a lot of good
Perricone MD Cold Plasma Sub-D $135
“Cold Plasma” sounds like a $10 marketing term. And to a degree, it is. But the Cold Plasma Sub-D cream from Dr. Perricone also happens to do a good job tightening the skin along the jawline. It won’t completely remove jowls, but it will help reduce them for many people.
- Works relatively fast
- Does a decent job reducing the appearance of jowls
- The skin often feels tighter with repeated applications
- Results tend to be hit or miss
Formulyst Pro-Collagen Serum $59
This serum is specifically designed to help restore aging skin. It contains hyaluronic acid to remove dead skin cells and restore luster and Chondrus Crispus to aid in hydration. This should be particularly effective for those whose jowls are the result of dry, tired skin. Although even then, it’s not going to completely eliminate jowls altogether.
- Does an amazing job restoring hydration
- Makes your skin feel clear and youthful
- The stars really have to align to see significant jowl reduction
How to Get Rid of Jowls with Cream?
Getting rid of jowls with cream will take time and dedication on your part. You lessen the amount of time it will take while greatly increasing your chances for success by using the best available product. One like our top choice Clarasome, which is clinically proven to produce results.
Where Can I Buy Products to Get Rid of Jowls?
For some reason, products that deal with tightening up the skin around the jawline don’t have a very visible presence on Amazon. Therefore, you’ll need to seek them out on websites dedicated to beauty products such as Sephora or a hundred lesser-known sites.
Or you can always visit your local brick and mortar beauty shop and help prevent traditional retail from going extinct. Our top choice, clarasome by Dermaclara Beauty, is only available through the official Dermaclara Beauty website, where you can also avail yourself of their other outstanding, clinically proven products.
Top Expert Tips on How to Prevent Saggy Jowls
We know your skin is thirsty.
Give it a sip of hydration with this lightweight, non-greasy hyaluronic acid serum that instantly quenches dry or damaged skin and leaves it looking smoother, more supple, and younger.
Clarasome has been clinically proven to reduce fine lines & wrinkles in 1 hour of use! It’s the perfect addition to your skincare routine if you want something lightweight but still effective for anti-aging. You can even wear under makeup!
Click here now to see why so many people love this product and give your skin a thirst-quenching sip of hydration today. Click Here to check out Dermaclara's Clarasome.