Career EnhancersSep 05, 2017
Working women know that their careers need to be nurtured in order to grow and flourish. Doing the same thing day in and day out won't do much to enhance your career. With career enhancement comes a bigger paycheck, promotions, and a general sense of accomplishment.
Here's what we suggest to boost your career!
1. Be a good historian. By this, we mean keep records of exceptional work you've done throughout the year. This way, when you walk into your boss's office to ask for a raise, he or she will be impressed with the work you've done.
2. Take classes. Whatever field you're in, take classes that will give you additional skills to add to your repertoire. Whether that's learning InDesign, taking online Google marketing tutorials, or attending web development workshops, making time to learn skills that beef up your resume can only do your career good.
3. Learn from coworkers and superiors. Your coworkers know a thing or two. Ask them how they do what they do. You'd be surprised: People love to share their knowledge, whether it's the creative director at your firm, or the graphic designer down the hall.
4. Become a sponge. Read and learn everything you can about your industry and profession. Trade books, articles, anything you can get your hands on that will let you have your finger on the pulse of the industry. The more you know, the better you'll be at your job. Think the long view.
5. Network like mad. And we don't mean by increasing your LinkedIn list. Go to industry events, after work drinks, and professional meet ups. Meet people who do what you do, and those who do what you want to do. As you know, most people get (and keep) their jobs through effective networking.